Children of Henry L'Estrange Styleman Le Strange, Esquire
and Jamesina Joyce Ellen Stewart

daughter of John Stewart, Esquire, Member of Parlliament (MP) of Belladrum, County Inverness, Scotland

Son of Henry Styleman, Esquire, and Emilia Preedy, Henry L'Estrange Styleman, postea Henry L'Estrange Styleman le Strange was born on 25 Jan 1815, and baptized at Snettisham by the Reverend J. Dolignon on 29 Jan 1815. He was nineteenth in direct descent through Thomas de Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk, from King Edward I, and seventeenth from King Edward III, through Duke of Gloucester, Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester.
Henry was educated at Eton, and reopened Hunstanton Hall with a great ceremony on his coming of age, at twenty-one years, on 25 Jan 1836. He refurbished the buildings, had the western moat enlarged into a lake he called the 'New Water', and used the dreggings together with rubble from a demolished farm house to create a large mound on the opposite side, which he called the 'Eagle Garden'. He qualified as Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Norfolk on 8 Mar 1837. Obtaining his Bachelor of Arts degree at Christ's Church, Oxford, on 18 Dec 1837, he traveled in Portugal, Spain, and Egypt.
Henry assumed the ancient surname spelled le Strange, as well as the arms of his le Strange ancestors, becoming Henry L'Estrange Styleman le Strange, Esquire, of Hunstanton, Snettisham, et cetera, by Royal Licence dated 16 Jul 1839, which became effective on 23 Jul 1839. Apparently the spelling L'Estrange had originally been adopted to express royalist sentiments by both Roger L'Estrange and his elder brother Hamon L'Estrange of Fakenham around the period 1636 to 1644, and was later adopted officially by their nephew, Sir Nicholas L'Estrange IV, 3rd Baronet of Hunstanton.
Two days after changing his name, Henry married Jamesina Joyce Ellen Stewart (25 May 1819 - 6 Jul 1892), youngest daughter and eventually coheir of John Stewart, Esquire (1785 - 5 Mar 1873), M.P. of Belladrum, County Inverness (INV), Scotland, and Jamesina Grant Stewart (died 1861), at Saint James Church, Picadilly, London, on 25 Jul 1839. John Stewart of Belladrum was the son of Thomas Stewart of Pittyvaich and Keithmore, son of Gordon Stewart of Drumin and Margaret Dunbar of Grange, and Anne Gordon, daughter of Francis Gordon of Milne and Barbara Rose of Glen Cat.
John Stewart married Jamesina Grant Campbell née Fraser, on 15 Dec 1814. She was the daughter of Simon Fraser of Fanellan, and relict of Colonel William Campbell, 78th Highlanders, who was killed during the British expedition against Java, specifically during the seizure of Batavia, on 11 Aug 1811, just over one month before the Dutch signed the Capitulation of Semarang on 17 Sep 1811. Simon Fraser of Fanellan was the son of Thomas Fraser of Dumballoch and Isabella Mackintosh of Blervey, and he married Mary Fraser, daughter of Thomas Fraser of Reelig and Mary Hutchinson of Saint Kitts and Yorkshire. Jamesina Joyce Ellen Stewart and her uterine step-brother William Charles James Campbell were the offspring of Jamesina Grant Fraser, and married respectively Henry L'Estrange Styleman le Strange né Styleman, and Henry's sister Armine L'Estrange Styleman, causing Henry and Armine to become uncle and aunt, both paternally and maternally, both by blood and by marriage, to one another's children. Prior to the respective terminations of the abeyances, Henry was declared by the House of Lords to be one of the coheirs of the Barony of Camoys, in 1839, and later of the Barony of Hastings. As one of the coheirs of Elizabeth Hastings, Henry proved his claim in the House of Lords to the Barony of Hastings (creatus 1264) in 1841, and was recognized as a coheir, or an heir to a fourth part of the Barony of Hastings.

FRANCES BROWNE NÉE BERNEY (nata 1760), only surviving daughter and heir of Thomas Berney, became sole heir of her ancestral Browne estates, and her husband took the surname Browne by Royal License in 1786. Frances became coheir, or specifically an heir to a moiety of the Barony of Hastings in 1841. The other two coheirs were each assigned one fourth part of the Barony of Hastings, and those coheirs were HENRY L'ESTRANGE STYLEMAN LE STRANGE (1815-1862) of Hunstanton, and SIR JACOB ASTLEY (1797-1859), 6TH BARONET, 16TH BARON HASTINGS (1841).
However, the crown ultimately favored the youngest coheir, Sir Joseph Astley, Baronet of Melton, to become the new Baron of Hastings. Sir Joseph Astley was no doubt descended from Henry's great-grandaunt Lucy Astley née L'Estrange (1699-1739), who married SIR JACOB ASTLEY, BARONET OF MELTON, Constable.

Henry was appointed Deputy Lieutenant by John, Lord Wodehouse, on 20 Dec 1843. He was appointed Captain of the 1st West Norfolk Militia by the Earl of Leicester on 30 May 1852. While he, Jamesina, and their children were in France, the Tudor Wing of Hunstanton Hall burned in April 1853. Although he immediately made plans to reconstruct this main portion of the hall, he never realized his dream.
Henry made an unsuccessful attempt to represent West Norfolk in parliament in 1847.
To advance his career as an artist and painter, he drew a design for decorating the tower of Ely Cathedral in 1853. His design was accepted in 1854, and he completed the decoration in 1855. The dean and chapter invited him to likewise design decoration for the roof of the nave at Ely. Hamon spent two years doing research, 1856-1857, and worked on painting the nave for the more than four years, 1858-1862. He was invited to coöperate with the architect Mr. Butterfield in decorating Saint Alban's, Holborn, and spent two years making drawings for the work. He was nominated to become a member of a royal commission charged to inquire into the state of fresco painting in England in February 1862.
Henry became Justice of the Peace, Deputy Lieutenant, and Captain of the 1st West Norfolk Militia. He died suddenly of heart disease, while at the residence of his father-in-law at 7A Portland Place, London, on 1862/7/27, and was buried in Hunstanton Churchyard.
Henry was succeeded by his son Hamon Styleman le Strange, later named Hamon le Strange VI. His Will was proven on 5 Nov 1862. He had completed only half of the length of the roof of Ely Cathedral by the time of his death, so the work was carried out and completed by others. He had not yet commenced painting Saint Alban's, so his designs were carried out by his maternal cousin Frederick Preedy, who was the architect Henry had hired to rebuild Hunstanton Hall. A portrait of Henry once hung at the Hall.
Jamesina survived her first husband by thirty years, and married second Charles Wynne-Finch of Voelas, Denbigh, Wales, on 7 Sep 1863. Her father John Stewart died at 3 Queen Anne Street, London, on 5 Mar 1873 at eighty-eight years of age, and was buried at Snettisham on 12 March, 12 Mar 1873. Her husband Charles Wynne-Finch died in Paris on 3 Mar 1874. Jamesina died at her house at 46 Charles Street, Berkeley Square, London, on 6 Jul 1892.

business loans

From L'Estrange, Henry L'Estrange - Styleman ( 1815-1862 )

Art Amateur and Decorative Painter

Born on 25 Jan 1815, was only son of Henry Styleman of Snettisham and Hunstanton, Norfolk, by Emilia , daughter of Benjamin Preedy, his wife. His father was grandson of Nicholas Styleman, who married Armine, elder daughter of Sir Nicholas L'Estrange, fourth baronet, and co-heiress of her brother, Sir Henry L'Estrange, sixth baronet, of Hunstanton ( see under L'Estrange,Sir Nicholas ).
Styleman was educated at Eton and at Christ Church, Oxford ( B.A 1837 ), and on leaving Oxford travelled in Portugal, Spain , and Egypt. In 1839 he assumed by royal license the old family name of Le Strange, in addition to that of Styleman, and in the same year married Jamesina Joyce Ellen , daughter of John Stewart of Belladrum, Inverness-shire. In 1839 also he was declared by the House of Lords coheir of the barony of Camoys, and in 1841 coheir to that of Hastings. In 1847 he made an unsuccessful attempt to enter parliament for West Norfolk. Styleman le Strange was an amateur of art and practised painting. In 1853 he drew a design for the decoration of the tower of Ely Cathedral, which was accepted in 1854, and completed by him in 1855. In July 1856 he was invited by the dean and chapter to give a design for the decoration of the roof of the nave. After two years' research and study Le Strange commenced painting the roof in 1858, and worked on it for four years. In 1860 he was invited to co-operate with Mr.Butterfield, the architect, in the decoration of St. Albans, Holborn, and spent two years in making and completing the cartoons for this work. In February 1862 he was nominated a member of the royal commission appointed to examine into the state of fresco-painting in England. Le Strange died suddenly of heart disease in London on 27 July 1862, and was buried at Hunstaton. He had only completed half the length of the roof in Ely Catherdal ( finished by Mr.T.Gambier Parry ), and his designs for St.Alban's , Holborn, on which he had not commenced work, were carried out by his cousin, Frederick Preedy. His designs were the fruits of much learned study and great religious enthusiasm. He left three sons and three daughters. Of the latter Alice was married to Laurence Oliphant. A portait is at Hunstanton.

( Information from Mr. Hamon Le Strange. )


Hamon Styleman Le Strange, Justice of the Peace
Born: 25 Nov 1840
Place: London, England
Died: 25 Mar 1918
Place: Hunstanton, Norfolk County, England
Married: Emmeline Austin - daughter of William Austin
Born: 22 Jan 1846
Place: Capetown, South Africa
Died: 24 April 1918
Place: Hunstanton, Norfolk County, England
Date Married: 20 Dec 1866 in Boston, MA

Jamesina Styleman le Strange
Born: 21 Mar 1842
Place: Paris, France
Died: 12 May 1912
Place: Hunstanton Hall, Norfolk County, England
Married: Reverend Adolphus Waller
Born: circa 1840
Place: London, England
Died: 16 Jul 1890
Place: Hunstanton, Norfolk County, England
Date Married: 19 Jul 1866 in Saint George's Hanover Square, London, England

Alice Styleman le Strange
Born: 20 Sep 1845
Place: Paris, France
Died: 2 Jan 1886
Place: Dahlieh, near Haifa, Syria (now Israel), buried at the foot of Mt. Carmel in Haifa
Married: Laurence Oliphant
Born: circa 1843
Place:
Died: 23 Dec 1888
Place: Twickenham, Norfolk County, England - buried in Twickenham Cemetery
Date Married: 8 Jun 1872 - at Saint George's Hanover Square


Alice was born at 333 rue Saint Honoré, Paris, on 20 Sep 1845, and was baptized. She married Laurence Oliphant, only son of Sir Anthony Oliphant, C.B., at Saint George's Hanover Square on 8 Jun 1872. The year before her marriage, in 1871, she drew a plan of the northern parts of the Hunstanton Hall to scale, including the North Wing, the Kitchen Block, and the West Wing. It survives as one of the most detailed period drawings of the structure. She died without issue at Dahlieh, near Haifa, Syria (now Israel), on 2 Jan 1886, and was buried in a cemetery at the foot of Mount Carmel in Haifa. Laurence died without issue at York House, Twickenham, Norfolk, on 23 Dec 1888, and was buried in Twickenham Cemetery.

Captain Charles Styleman le Strange
Born: 27 Apr 1847
Place: London, England
Died: 13 Jun 1891 - buried at Hunstanton, Norfolk County, England
Place: London, England
Married: Mary Ann Angear
Born: circa 1849
Place: Portsmouth
Died: May 1893
Place: Southsea
Date Married: 17 Jun 1886


Son of Henry L'Estrange Styleman le Strange and Jamesina Joyce Ellen Stewart, Captain Charles le Strange né Styleman le Strange was born at 22 Portman Square, London, on 27 Apr 1847, and baptized by the Reverend William Dodsworth at Christ Church, Albany Street. He was educated at the Reverend W.M.H. Church's house at Geddington, Northamptonshire, and at Mrs. Drury's house at Eton from 16 Sep 1858. Charles entered the Royal Navy as a cadet in Dec 1860. Appointed Midshipman in Jun 1862, he went to sea on H.M.S. Saint George on 15 Jul 1862. He was appointed Sublieutenant on 19 Nov 1866, Lieutenant on 1 Jun 1869, and Commander on 22 Nov 1882. Charles was appointed Extra Equerry to H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh on 12 Jan 1880.
By a Deed Poll dated 1 May 1874, Charles dropped the surname Styleman.
He married Mary Ann Angear, daughter of James Angear of Portsmouth, on 17 Jun 1886.
He became Captain in the Royal Navy on 31 Dec 1890. During his lengthy naval career, Charles was decorated as Commander Second Class of the Frederick Order of Württemburg, Knight of Saint Stanislas of Russia, and Knight of Madjidie of Turkey, all of which medals were later kept by Hamon le Strange at Hunstanton. Charles was the heir presumptive to his older brother Hamon le Strange IV, until Charles died without issue at forty-four years of age, at 46 Charles Street, Berkeley Square, London, on 13 Jun 1891, and was buried at Hunstanton on 17 Jun 1891. His widow Mary died at Southsea in May 1893.

Ada Styleman le Strange
Born: 17 Sep 1848
Place:
Died: 28 Sep 1873
Place:
Married: Edward Heneage Wynne-Finch
Born: circa 1946
Place: Stokesley, Yorkshire, England
Died:
Place:
Date Married: 9 Jun 1870


Ada was baptized at Saint Mary's Church, Dover, on 25 Oct 1848. Her mother - Jamesina Joyce Ellen Styleman le Strange née Stewart - married Charles Wynne-Finch in 1863, and Ada eventually married her stepbrother Edward Heneage Wynne-Finch of Stokesley, Yorkshire, second son of Charles Wynne-Finch, on 9 Jun 1870. Ada died in Paris, leaving issue.

Guy Styleman le Strange
Born: 24 Jul 1854
Place: Brussels, Belgium
Died: 23 Dec 1933
Place: Florence, Italy
Married: Wanda Irene Clementine Cartwright
Born: circa 1856
Place: Banbury, Northamptonshire, England
Died: 3/4 Feb 1907
Place: Florence, Italy
Date Married: 4 Aug 1887


Son of Henry L'Estrange Styleman le Strange né Styleman and Jamesina Joyce Ellen Stewart, né Styleman le Strange was born at 12 Place Royale, Brussels, on 24 Jul 1854, baptized privately at Brussels on 9 Aug 1854, and received into the church at Hunstanton.
By Deed Poll dated 1875, he dropped the surname Styleman.
Guy married Wanda Irene Clementine Cartwright (died 3 Feb 1907), eldest daughter of William Cornwallis Cartwright, Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Aynhoe Parish, Banbury, Northamptonshire, at Saint Paul's Church, Knightsbridge, on 4 Aug 1887.
Although he had problems with his sight, Guy le Strange managed to become a linguist, majoring in Arabic. He authored Palestine Under the Moslems: A Description of Syria and the Holy Land from A.D. 650 to 1500, translated from the works of the Mediaeval Arab Geographers, in 1890, and The Lands of the Eastern Caliphate: Mesopotamia, Persia, and Central Asia from the Moslem Conquest to the Time of Timur, in 1905.
Guy le Strange edited and translated Feth 'Ali Akhoun Zade (Mirza): The Vazir of Lankuran in 1882, and edited A Concise Dictionary, English-Persion by E.H. Palmer, in 1883. He scripted Account of a Short Journey East of the Jordan, in 1885, and together with is brother-in-law, husband to Alice Styleman Oliphant née le Strange, Guy co-authored part of a book entitled, Across the Jordan, being an ex-ploration and survey of part of Hauran and Jaulan, by Gottlieb Schumacher, ... with additions by Laurence Oliphant and Guy Le Strange, in 1886.
He translated Mohammad ibn Ahmad ibn Abi Bakr al-Bacharí al-Mogaddasí (Chams al-Din Abou 'Abd Allah): Description of Syria, including Palestine, in 1886. He edited Abila of the Decapolis by Gottlieb Schumacher, in 1889, and Northern 'Ajlûn, Within the Decapolis, in 1890. One great literary endeavor re-sulted in Lieven (Dorothée Benkendorf, Princesse): Correspondence of Princess Lieven and Earl Grey, a three-volume work, published in 1890.
Guy translated selections from several medieval Arab geographers, and com-piled them into a work entitled Palestine Under the Moslems: A Description of Syria and the Holy Land from A.D. 650 to 1500, in 1890.
Guy authored Baghdad During the Abbasid Caliphate, from Contemporary Arabic and Persian Sources, in 1900, Mesopotamia and Persia Under the Mongols in the Fourteenth Century A.D., from the Nuzhat-al-Kulûb of Hamd-Allah Mustawfî, in 1903, The Lands of the Eastern Caliphate: Mesopotamia, Persia and Central Asia, from the Moslem Conquest to the Time of Timur, in 1905, and Description of the Province of Fars in Persia at the Beginning of the Fourteenth Century A.D., from the Manuscript of Ibn al-Balkhi in the British Museum; in 1912, he edited Hamd Allah Mostawfî: the Geographical Part of the Nuzhat-al-Kulûb, in 1915, Spanish Ballads, in 1920, and Ibn al-Balkhi: the Farsnama, in 1921, He authored Don Juan of Persia, in 1926.
Wanda died at 3 Via San Francisco Poverino, Florence, Italy, on 3/4 Feb 1907, and Guy died without issue on 23 Dec 1933.

The last statement seems contradicted by the next article.

L'Estrange, Guy P. J. ( 1898-1973 ) Pyscic Artist, Medium and Healer L'Estrange was one of the most outstanding Physical Mediums in the 1930's. Under psychic influences he was able to complete " intricate psychic drawings ". The drawings , done at speed, have elaborate Chinese designs. Some include what seem to be Chinese characters and symbols, yet he knew nothing about Chinese art or lettering. Photographs of the artwork was shown to experts at the British Museum. They said " the drawings were typical Chinese art and very fine", strangely enough one official announced he knew who the artist was, and turning to some lists he pointed to the name, Guy L'Estrange, born 1854 and described as an authority on Chinese and Mongolian matters. This story was told to the editor of the Yarmouth Independent, by L'Estrange on an interview, who liked it so much he asked L'Estrange to write for the newspaper. He contributed a weekly feature entitled " Psychic Corner " for the Yarmouth Independant for 13 months. Most if not all were then reprinted in the Psychic News. His final contribution was early May 1934, after which many articles appeared directly in the Psycic News for around 3 years.

In 1934, whilst residing at Beresford Road, Great Yarmouth, he was appointed " Life President " of the Great Yarmouth Spiritualist Church. He resigned 2 years later because " business pressure necessitates him leaving that town for short periods and, probably, at a later date, altogether.

In Jan 1937 he participated in a weekly broadcasted Radio Show called " In Town Tonight " talking about a haunted Rectory in Suffolk. This was possibly Borley Rectory, he was reffered to by Harry Price in both of his books " The Most Haunted House in England " and " The End of Borley Rectory ". Harry Price was a Psychic Researcher and founded The Insitute of Psychic Research in London, he invited L'Estrange to attend his "Lab", but was refused every time.

Somewhere around 1945 L'Estrange faded from the Psychic Scene.

In 1962, an old friend reported in the Psychic News, that he had seen in the Daily Telegraph, a obituary notice referring to the death of the daughter of "the late Guy L'Estrange," A letter was immediately written to the only surviving relative, another daughter. Three weeks later a letter was received back from L'Estrange saying that it was "Premature", and nevertheless he appriciates the kind things written . The article goes on to say that the friend could not resist writing back "As the name of your house is Nazareth, do I have to congratulate you on your resurrection"

L'Estrange was married to Hilda, had at least two daughters, and died in 1973 whilst living at Firsview Drive, Northampton.

Initial information contained in this page is based on STILLMAN GENEOLOGY from Steeple Ashton compiled by Geoffrey Stillman of Australia in 1969; received updated version from Raymond Stillman of Holt, Trowbridge, Wiltshire County, England in 1984.

The Holt Family GEDCOM was referenced for additional material.

Further information on this page is based on research by John R. Mayer Styleman and Le Strange of Hunstanton 1691-1993 revision number 72, with permission from Barbara Way, bjway@tir.com

Updated 2 Jan 1999